Crossover Island was so named due to its location near the point where, prior to the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway, vessels following the shipping channel crossed over the international boundary between the American Channel and the Canadian Channel. In an 1838 report Naval Lieutenant C.T. Platt made the following recommendation to the Secretary of the Treasury. The design used for Crossover Island Lighthouse was the same as that used at Rock Island: a one-and-a-half-story brick dwelling with a wooden lantern centered atop a pitched roof. Six oil lamps, set in fourteen-inch reflectors, were used inside the lantern room to produce a fixed white light at a height of thirty-seven feet above the river. Obed Robeson was appointed the first keeper at Crossover Island on May 15, 1848 at an annual salary of $350.